Coming form Canada or Mexico via road.

Drive from Canada or Mexico to the United States, Do I need ESTA

If you are a subject of a country that takes part in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), and you enter the U.S. via land from Mexico or Canada, ESTA is not required. On the off chance that you don't have ESTA, you will be required to complete an I-94W and continue with a manual section process at the location of the crossing. If you have an affirmed ESTA when entering the U.S. at a fringe area crossing, you won't be required to finish the paper I-94W and your entry will be permitted.

Note: VWP nationals do not need an ESTA to travel on the ships in Vancouver and Victoria, BC and Washington state. They are dealt with as a fringe area port